Rock Pools on Lantau??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys – Just a newbie here and newish to HK too. I am a big fan of freshwater rock pools in the bush and like the hike to get to them. As my other half has a threshold of about an hour i was wondering if someone can point me in the direction of some of these mystical ones on Lantau. I have read one other post on here but cant find half the place names on my HK guidebook. Its rather detailed too. In short which ones are best for swimming no more than an hours hike.

If possible can you give a rather detailed desciption.

Cheers Guys
    Crint

I’ve been swimming rockpools here since I was a kid in school, and am learning that I know next to nothing. I’m off to a rockpool in Sai Kung this weekend seen by a friend who went deep-sea fishing. He says it’s easy to get to and the best he’s ever seen.
    I don’t get to swimming in Lantau much since school (no more summer holidays) and I hate Lantau summer weekends.

Use http://www.centamap.com for placename location finding.
    Use http://hkwaterfall.net/ for waterfall location finding.

My first ever Lantau swim was on the main southern beach, Cheung Sha. Which runs between Tong Fuk and Cheung Sha village. Halfway along this beach (where the Tung Chung Road comes down the hill to meet the Lantau Road) there is a stream which sometimes flows over the beach, sometimes under it. Walking under the bridge from the beach or taking the path beside the junction next to the bridge you come to a set of pools 10mins walk upstream. They are not spectacular, but very enjoyable especially a few weeks after the summer monsoon (like now dude).
    This is my third favourite pool for the simple reason that it incorporates a wonderful beach, a good rockpool, a nice pub, and a good restuarant all within a 10min of each other (the pubs at Tong Fuk and I highly recommend it – does good food too on the weekends. The restuarant in Cheung Sha village at the other end – it’s my favourite HK restuarant).

Use the websites I mentioned to find other pools, they give good descriptions, photos and how to get there.

Post edited by: SImon D, at: 2007/06/25 15:54

Post edited by: SImon D, at: 2007/06/25 15:55

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.