Tung Ping Chau

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This thread discusses the Content article: Tung Ping Chau

Why do people not live on Tung Ping Chau anymore? i heard that 3000 people used to live on Tung Ping Chau, now there is only 1 permanent resident living there.

Hi Janie: welcome to HKOoutdoors!

A few years ago, I asked someone why pretty much no one lives there anymore – he told me that in 70s, there was a spate of robberies by people from mainland (where times surely tough), and most moved out.
      Likely also linked to deceline in farming in HK, as cheaper produce from elsewhere – more remote villages typically emptied out, or like Tung Ping Chau only v few residents left.
      (Also asked about smuggling, which I’d heard used to be pretty common there: “that doesn’t happen anymore”)

Anonymous

Hi there …

We regularly camp on the island … in fact is has no residents from Monday to Friday anymore… not even the two policemen stay there. The elders told us that it was electricity supply .. pure and simple … there is none .. people use generators at the weekend when they get the ferry across to open up and trade with the walkers and school parties.

BTW .. Tung Ping Chau must be one of the best places for camping in Hong Kong … a great weekend away where you really do feel as though you have been away. Some great walks and some fascinating rock structures along the coast. A MUST if you’re into camping in Hong Kong …and you should be! But be prepared to be woken up by the anti-smuggling boats floodlighting the coast! If you’d like information then get in touch … but the pitch near the entrance to the site is reserved! :)

One villager told us that the island actually has Hong Kong’s only genuine nuclear bunker, which I’m assuming would be under the police post there. Martin .. can you shed any light on this?

Regards

Tom

Thanks for this info, Tom; hadn’t known the island’s now deserted during the week.

I think there isn’t a proper “bunker”, but the former camp on western slope of the small hill – v near the police station – was made ready as shelter should there be an accident at nearby Daya Bay nuclear plant. As I recall, has iodine etc in case the island is affected by fallout (the iodine being normal, to help limit any uptake by bodies of radioactive iodine).

Martin

Anonymous

Hi Martin …

Yes, it’s very sad but a tragic feature of the new Hong Kong – think NT villages etc.

We had a great conversation with a grand old woman who was the last village elder there … she and her family still go back every weekend to clear out the houses and make use of their rights to pick shell fish and the like …. the suppers they laid on were fantastic!

I simply cannot recommend this place more to anyone who wants a great nights camping in Hong Kong … we’ve done most other sites, but this one has to be the best in terms of the journey, the location, and the atmosphere.

Regards,

Tom

TB,
          If I was going to go out by speedboat, is there a campsite nearby that one could camp at and at the same time keep an eye out on boat. There are some shallow water moorings in place, near the beach…. Don’t want any II’s using my boat for waterskiing in the middle of the night.
          CF

Anonymous

Hello Charles,

Yes, there are a lot around during the night … or I’m assuming loud fast boats with no lights whatsoever aren’t going squid fishing …

If you camped at the government site then you wouldn’t have a line of sight to your boat, no. Besides, that part of the coast is rock outcrop so I’m not sure you’d want to keep a boat there .. I’m not sure it’s suitable.

I have seen people camping on the beach to the right of the pier (As you come off the ferry.) You could moor a boat there OK as it’s a gentle sand slope into the sea. However, I think you’d have to take your chances, as I understand you’re not allowed to camp anywhere other than designated areas in there, it being a marine/country park – you might get moved on by the two policeman who do regularly patrol. And you’d have to take your chances with the sand flies.

Depending on the size and security of your boat, why just not moor at the pier? Surely that must be allowed, or I’m sure could be arranged.

If you do go ..could you fit two more in?! It would be a brilliant journey out there!

Best

Tom

Hi Tom and others of Tung Ping Chau
            I have been camping at Tung Ping Chau like 30 years ago, I forgot what day of the week that was, I am no longer living in Hong Kong. In the coming April or May, I shall be visiting Hong Kong again. Hopefully, I can spend a day on the island, is there any ferry or boat going there during weekdays?
            Thanks
            Tak

Anonymous

Hello Tak,

I’m afraid not. The only ferries that go are at the weekend … 9.00am from Ma Liu Shui on Saturdays, then returning on Sunday at 5. Don’t miss that last one on Sunday unless you’ve some serious supplies … you’ll be stranded on the island alone.

Tom

Hi Tak:
              To my knowledge, the ferry is only at weekends and on public holidays.

It’s become much busier there in past few years, but Saturdays not too bad.
              I’ve previously managed to take ferry off the island at around 11am on a Sunday – but that was some time ago, not sure if still possible. (Landed at Wong Shek Pier – from where there are buses to Sai Kung and to Diamond Hill in Kowloon.)

On Sundays, especially, seems most people arrive in big groups: bustling and noisy when they’re around, but once they’ve swarmed on, peace can return to whatever part of the island you’re in.
              But of course, for tranquillity, would be best after ferry’s gone on Sat, and before ferry and tour boats arrive on Sun.

There’s timetable for ferries, and contact info, here:
              http://www.traway.com.hk/routes.html#tungpingchau

Martin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.