Camping in Tai Long Wan

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone

This is my first post to this forum…and also my first visit to HK! I’m heading in in the middle of October, and am interested in camping for a night on Tai Long Wan. I’m interested in general information such as:

-best place to stay…I’ve heard that the beach east of Ham Tim village is good.
    -costs for camping on the beaches (and facilities)
    -possibility of equipment rental (I have a tent, but won’t bring it if I can rent quality equipment)

On top of that, my friends and I are interested in coming in by boat, rather than hiking overland. Is this possible, and if so, how much/how would you go about organizing it! Thanks in advance…I was SO pleased to find an outdoor forum for HK!!!

craven

Hi Craven: Welcome to HK Outdoors! Re boat, try: Tai Long Wan, Sai Kung and for camping gear, only little info on this forum as yet: https://www.hkoutdoors.com/wild-hk-info/camping-equipment-rental.html Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks so much for your quick reply!! I’d read through a couple of posts…we were looking to avoid hiking all together due to some injuries, and wondered about hiring a boat from Victoria Harbour or somewhere close to central HK. Any thoughts?
    Thanks again!
    craven

TLW a long way by boat

I’d try other places, then

This is probably far to late a reply to be of any use. However, could be good to other newbies to hk outdoors. The best way to TLW is to get minibus from Sai Kung (public pier terminus) and get off in the SK Country Park at Pak Tam Au near a pavillion & toilets (Country Series Map grid ref: 2581) There is an eastward bound concrete path alllllllllll the way to the TLW. It can’t be made easier than that! At a good pace you can be there in 45 mins or 1.5 if you’re a stroller. And you get the benefit of an areobic workout on the second half of the journey when the path goes up at Tai Long Au and over the hill down to TLW. There is a convenient pit stop at the bottom for a well earned beer at a local cafe. You can also stock up on your water supplies from here if you’re camping over night saving you walking the weight in. Be prepared – prices are double!

From there you have the choice to either keep heading down to the left over flat marshland, through trees and come out in the middle of Tai Wan beach (3081) or take a right turn opposite to the beer shop/cafe along the new concrete path with railings and over head lighting all the way to Ham Tin (2980) There you will come upon two restaurants.

[There is a small headland that divides Tai Wan & Ham Tin Wan beaches. You can scramble up and over the headland via a well trodden path or take the flat route round the back from the Ham Tin restaurants and behind Tai Wan beach- a prefered surf board hauling route].

Alternatively, you can take minibus or taxi to Wong Shek pier (2583) further on from Pak Tam Au and get a boat for about $100 round to Sha Tau pier to cut out half the walk. However, you still have to do the steep hike over the hill!

If anyone more knowledgible finds this to be in anyway incorrect or misleading corrections most welcome.

Anonymous

There is an easier way to get to TLW: rather than walking to Ham Tin from Pak Tam Au, you can also take the taxi from Sai Kung in the direction of Sai Wan village. The taxi will bring you all the way to the end of Sai Wan Road, and from there it is only a 30min. walk. There is also a bus going from Sai Kung to the end of Sai Wan Road (last one at about 5pm).

Anonymous

is there anywhere to stay at Sai Wan TLW for those of us that don’t want to camp?

Some time since I’ve been through Sai Wan; but there were village hostels there.

Anonymous

Some friends and I are thinking of going camping over Christmas, either at Tai Long Wan or Tung Ping Chau. Does anyone know which place is better? More scenic?

I’d reckon Tai Long Wan, for better camping area (top of main beach), scenery, and size/range of possibilities for activities.

Also note: no spammy links here, thanks!

Anonymous

Hey,
            My friends and I (all girls all under 20) want to go camping at Tai Long Wan but we are worried about safety is there any danger in camping overnight there and what can we do.

Do you guys have any general advice for camping at TLW? E.g. The best place to set up camp?

Cheers

Katie

I haven't seen much re danger there: other than the chance of rip tides/nasty currents if you swim, that is. (A v few times, people have been mugged while hiking, but rare – and can be issues in the city too of course.)

Care needed if it's hot, too; avoid heatstroke.

Best place maybe above tideline along Tai Wan beach.

If you go, hope you have a great time!

Martin

Anonymous

Hi all, anyone knows if you can camp on the beach in TLW in Shek O?
              thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.