Relatively easy hiking routes in Hong Kong

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I did the Fan Lau hike on saturday. The Yi O part is open, as mentioned here earlier. Prior to arriving in that area, signs urge you to not go that way and invite you to make a steep climb via an alternative route. The Yi portion is about as overgrown as a trail is possible to get. I saw a large green snake on the path and was bitten on the forehead by a black ant. Still, I like it because I don't enjoy walking uphill.

Are there any other hikes as long as this (about 20k) which are basically flattish?

simon

Hi Simon:

Thanks for this report. (For others who read: the trail that avoids Yi O is good, with grand views over sw Lantau and Pearl River mouth – but indeed involves some climbing).

Without checking maps re lengths, some flat or fairly level hikes that occur to me:

From Tai O towards northeast, and round to Tung Chung. Undulates in places, with some flights of steps.

Around Shing Mun Reservoir: not so long, but a fine walk.

High Island Reservoir southern edge – level, and takes you to eastern dam, which is impressive place, w cliffs w columnar jointing in the area. But, then either retrace steps, or some ups n downs before walking down the road to north of the res.

Catchwaters in several places. One along southern slopes of main Lantau hills is good I'm told (inc for cycling).

From Hoi Hal westwards, to Sham Chung and then south thro Yung Shu O involves only a little uphill, which is pretty gentle.

A few circuits of Tung Ping Chau!

Hopefully some other folk can suggest more. Martin

Is there a trail that goes from Cape D’Aguilar to Tai Tam.

I don’t want to walk along Shek O road north, but I also prefer not to go on the Dragon’s back. Am looking for a hiking route lower down from the road – down closer to the water.

Maps seem to indicate some possible route.

Stage 7 of the Hong Kong Trail – from Tai Tam to To Tei Wan – gets you down towards Cape D’Ag; at end, a flight of steps up to the road. Much of it about dead level, alongside a catchwater.

Don’t think there’s level option other than road to get closer to the Cape itself – and access to southern tip restricted as must pass thro communications base. There’s also a fairly level trail winding along west slopes of Dragon’s Back. One way onto it is from near Tai Tam Road: steps or winding road up past correctional facility, then south along stage 8 of HK Trail. Instead of keeping to the HK Trail as it turns up to D Back, keep straight on, along the more level trail (tho maybe at end, have some steps to go down).

Thanks M

I went to the tip of Cape D’Aguilar by climbing under a fence, going through the bush, and avoiding the guards.

On the way back I just walked past them and smiled. They went nutty.

Entertaining stuff; but other readers shouldn’t go getting ideas!

Maybe of interest: Cape D’Aguilar’s become popular with local birders as place to go to watch for seabirds during tropical storms including typhoons: sometimes, excellent numbers of seabirds, which can be hard to see here normally (tho regular boat trips last spring and this have helped show there are more around than had been thought).

A few friends of mine were even at Cape D’Ag thro the eye of Typoon York – which proved a poor typhoon for birds.
    Po Toi has since proven a better watchpoint for seabirds, tho as yet only once with observations during a trop storm: Chanchu last spring, with most notable record a raft of shearwaters on sheltered patch of water.

Hah, reminds me of something that does.

I’m sure you do the same. As hikers we often read the land rather than signposts even in urban areas.
    I was going to a party once and not knowing the road or buses found myself overlooking Happy Valley rather than at the back of it. I could see the road down taking me ways out of my way, but fortunately there was a path down that was going in the right direction. Through the bushes always apeals more to me anyway, so I didn’t need much coaxing.
    Of course the path ended at the top of a 10m sheer retaining wall with no way round. At the bottom of which was a construction site.
    The walk back was a long way up, and then a long walk down and out of my way.
    Fortunately someone had dumped a pile of sand at the bottom of the retaining wall, so I went for it.
    Walked out the gate of the construction site waving at the guard. He walked forward and demanded where I came from. I pointed up the hill – he just looked at me and shook his head.

Following email asking about easier hikes, here are some more ideas for this thread – sometimes way shorter than 20km:

Circuit of the Peak on Hong Kong Island is perhaps our best nearly level "hike".

Strolling along Cheung Sha beach, south Lantau Island, is even easier. Could be combined with walking elsewhere on Lantau, such as to the main Silvermine waterfall at Mui Wo.

Walk along Peak Road on Cheung Chau is relatively easy; this is more a wide footpath than a road, and undulates along southern "spine" of the island.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.