Camping equipment rental

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

This is a wonderful site! Some friends and I are teaching in Shenzhen for the year and wanted to camp out at Tai Long Wan this weekend, but have no equipment. Do you know of any clubs or stores that rent out tents and sleeping bags? I need enough for 6 people.

With appreciation,
    David

Hi David:

Might be best if someone confirms before you hike over – but seen notice re tents for rent at Ham Tin, hamlet at Tai Long Wan.
    Maybe I have tel no someplace, but can’t find just now. May try checking.

Martin

Anonymous

Hi David

Try Pro-Trek on Nathan Road. We got all our gear from there and if I remember they hire out stuf as well.

Cheers

Tom

Anonymous

Hi Tom,

Would you please kindly advice the address of Pro Trek since Nathan Road is so long.

Thank you very much

Jas

Anonymous

a little late for the original post but I was over at Tai Long Wan last week and picked up a business card that stats

“we rent bangalows, surfboards and camping gear”
          Office 23282315
          cell 61906593
          Contact mr Lai.

I saw 2 tents pitched on the beach above the high water mark, ut don’t know if they hired them from this person. I don’t know the quality or anything else. just adding what the card states. If anyone has used the equipment from HOI FUNG STORES can you please comment on it.

Thanks for this info!

Anonymous

i’m going camping to tai long wan next week and i tried calling the number above and they said they charge 100$ up/tent or sleeping bag. i’d recommend that you just buy your own if you’re going to make camping a regular thing…simple and basic equipment isn’t really that expensive here like at RC Outfitters ( http://www.alink.com.hk/ ), a basic 2 person tent, summer sleeping bag and a silver mat thingie is $249 altogether!… the stoves are the more expensive deals when it comes to camping equipment :)

If you’re looking to rent, a friend of mine used and recommended this place:

Mercator  2395 2302.

2/F, 57 Sai Yueng Choi Street South, Mongkok, (Mongkok MTR Exit D3), next to Body Shop.

http://www.mercator-oec.com/

Need to be a ‘member’ to rent but that sounds to be a low threshhold eg. with $200 purchase or some negotiating. 

Tent (3 or 4 pers) $60/night.

Sleeping bag $60/night.

‘Mattress’ $10/night.

Also try this thread:

https://www.hkoutdoors.com/places-and-trails/camping-equipment.html

Anonymous

Is just $99 for a 2 persons tent in RC Oufitters. New one! Simple 4 persons tent is $168.

Hi guys,

I’m an exchange student from CityU in Hong Kong. We took the advice above and went to Tai Long Wan beach from Pak Tam Au. We were pretty unprepared for the hike and, although it’s a concrete path all the way up it took us about 3 hours to get to the beach (admittedly we were carrying beer, bags and tents) but the views are amazing. You can also just do the downhill trek and catch a boat from a small jetty at the bottom of the hill. If you just want to camp on the beach I advise you to get the boat to the beach from Sai Kung and walk back next day towards Sai Wan and Sai Wan road which took us around an hour.

Beware of the tides. We planned to get the boat next day and couldn’t as the sea was too rough. Also, 4 students on the next beach were swept away by a freak 4m high wave at night and one very sadly died.

Apart from this I can highly recommend this beach for camping there’s a real chilled out atmosphere from other campers (mostly surfers) and the views are amazing. You can hire tents from the two restaurants but they are expensive. Water and other supplies are expensive too but it’s justified as the supplies must arrive by sea. If you want a reasonably isolated place you can’t beat the beach next to Tai Long Wan. It’s a short walk ten minute walk away (on reasonably flat ground) and is where many of the people go to surf after spending the night talking to fellow campers on Tai Long Wan.

Good luck!

James

Hi James:

Thanks for the info; glad you had a great time.

I’ve done article on this site – Tai Long Wan – that has some info on the hike, mentions that swimming can be dangerous.

Martin

Anonymous

This is a wonderful article.thanks to share this article.. ================= Ema

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.