Hong Kong Family Fun – for tourists and residents

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Headed to the Peak a few days ago, and – presumably as my wife, baby son n I looked like a family in need of fun – received a copy of Hong Kong Family Fun Guide, from HK Tourism Board.
    Some fun ideas, but some that would make me go hmm… (Bauhinia Square), and quite a few shopping malls – my wife non-too impressed by itineraries with suggestions like “Evening Shopping Malls in Admiralty and Causeway Bay”.

So, what other ideas would I suggest – perhaps with more emphasis on finding fun outdoors?
    Here are some suggestions, several of which should be in a soon-to-appear “green guide” from HKTB which I’m helping with:

The Peak (which is in the guide) at dusk, for startling city views – and when it’s a smoggy day, the pollution’s less obvious as lights glow in the dark.

Stanley (also in gude), travelling there by bus up and over HK Island through Wong Nai Chung Gap. Roam beyond the shops, to see the main temple, and smaller temple on coast to east; maybe also to St Stephen’s Beach.

Shek O – good bus ride, v fine coastal walking, with beach if it’s hot summer; great hike along Dragon’s Back above if you’ve the energy.

Beaches – now it’s hot summer. Repulse Bay is in. But other beaches, too. On Cheung Chau, say, where can also roam the village, see fishing boats, walk coastal trails.

Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden: fun factor eclipses the Wishing Tree that somehow makes it into the guide (an odd tourist attraction; but maybe I shouldn’t complain but should instead try starting a new local legend of my own…)

Ngong Ping on Lantau: just getting there can be fun, with enjoyable ferry ride to Mui Wo, then top bus journey (and someday soon, once problems ironed out, the skyrail could prove fun for families).
    Tai O, also on Lantau – as well as wandering streets, there’s now chance to take a short speedboat tour.
    Also on Lantau, there’s chance to hike – with many trails to choose from, stroll the beaches of Cheung Sha, walk close by feral water buffalo at Pui O.

– that’s a quick list. What do you reckon to these? What other ideas would you suggest?

Hi Darren:

Lantau would seem the best choice: plenty to explore. Pui O with buffaloes worth including; stroll Cheung Sha beaches, maybe eat there; walking at Ngong Ping inc new trails on hill to north of Buddha – just a fraction cooler there too [and at present, relatively peaceful with Skyrail halted!]; Tai O good to wander round, and waterfall above Yi O to the south; easier waterfall at Mui Wo.

Cheung Chau worth considering, with good coastal walks; but if for a few days, best as a base, so can take ferry to Lantau (Chi Ma Wan and Mui Wo), or to HK Island (unless v hot, Dragon’s Back a great walk, and then down to Shek O)

For an overnight, Tung Ping Chau great.

More guff on most/all of these on this site. My Hong Kong Pathfinder book may help; so too HKTB booklet, Discover Hong Kong Nature.

Martin

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.