Key ecosystem services to promote in Hong Kong

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I'm among people working with Civic Exchange in an effort to support HK government in preparing a Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan for Hong Kong. [Hoping that actually get some action! – not just talking and preparing reports…]

"Biodiversity" covers a lot of areas.

To me, especially involved in promotion/education, it's important to determine which areas to focus on when trying to raise awareness of biodiversity etc in Hong Kong. Prepared a simple poll; sought responses from within the Civic Exchange "group", also from Hong Kong Outdoors members.

Here are results from 15 members of working groups coordinated by Civic Exchange; and from 9 members of Hong Kong Outdoors website

Martin Williams [voted amongst Civic Exchange group members]

Note: Civic Exchange group members were at one time asked to rank 7 items with 7 for most important; and at later time with 1 for most important. Most replies were evidently for 1 as most important.

Here, however, all but one of the scores changed to have 7 for most important: as then, the items ranked higher receive higher scores.

Habitats for species is clear “winner” among members of Civic Exchange working group.

Also ranked second by respondents from Hong Kong Outdoors.

Provision of our physical needs also rates highly. Particularly if can include – as perhaps fair – purification of air and water.

Education has fair ranking. But might be as feeling that this is something important to actually do [in my view, it’s the top priority]; is it something that needs to be promoted/publicised in itself? – education about education? Maybe so.

Interestingly, HK Outdoors members rated detoxification and decomposition of waste at number 3; only one vote for this from Civic Echange group.

Also placed little importance on aesthetic and spiritual benefits, unlike Civic Echange group.

Medicine and provision of shelter and building materials both fell low on the list: remember, this is for Hong Kong.

Overall results are below.

Some comments from HK Outdoors members included:

'Before looking at your list of options, I wondered what objectives there should be for public comms about biodiversity.  I came up with:

• convey/reinforce that biodiversity matters, eg. through memorable local examples or familiar global issues [must be recognisable and comprehensible to Joe Wong in the Dai Pai Dong]
    • target matters where (eg. government) decisions susceptible to public opinion could make a real difference
    • target long-term critical issues in this region

…  Basically, my standpoint intones: "Be afraid, for without biodiversity, your comfortable consumer lifestyle might verily get screwed up" '

"All of them are very important and i am wondering whether some of the issues are related to one another that resolving them can maximize the benefits."

"Basically a healthy biodiversity and environment mean quite a healthy way of life for people…. Yes, “help biodiversity to help yourself”. That’s the message."

Civic Exchange working groups members: 15 responses

Habitat for species

70 (11 votes)

Provision of our physical needs (food, fuel, fibre and fresh water)

52 (11)

Recreation, mental and physical health

45 (11)

Climate regulation, carbon sequestration and storage

39 (9)

Purification of water

31 (7)

Moderation of floods, droughts, temperature extremes and the forces of wind

30 (7)

Aesthetic and spiritual benefits

26 (9)

Purification of air

22 6)

Genetic resources and maintaining genetic diversity

28 (7)

Eco-tourism and attracting top international talent

22 (7)

Education

17 (6)

Pollination of plants, including many crops

15 (5)

Generation and renewal of soil fertility, including nutrient cycling

8 (3)

Ability to adapt to change, including climate change

8 (3)

Detoxification and decomposition of wastes

3 (1)

Medicine

1 (1)

Control of pests and diseases

Provision of shelter and building materials

Hong Kong Outdoors members: 9 responses

Purification of air

38 (8 votes)

Habitat for species

28 (6)

Detoxification and decomposition of wastes

26 (6)

Education

22 (6)

Purification of water

20 (6)

Ability to adapt to change, including climate change

18 (4)

Control of pests and diseases

16 (5))

Genetic resources and maintaining genetic diversity

16 (5)

Climate regulation, carbon sequestration and storage

15 (3)

Pollination of plants, including many crops

13 (4)

Recreation, mental and physical health

12 (3)

Provision of our physical needs (food, fuel, fibre and fresh water)

10 (3)

Moderation of floods, droughts, temperature extremes and the forces of wind

9 (2)

Eco-tourism and attracting top international talent

5 (1)

Generation and renewal of soil fertility, including nutrient cycling

2 (1)

Medicine

2 (1)

Provision of shelter and building materials

Aesthetic and spiritual benefits

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.